The #metoo movement gives power to women, and exposes the men of Hollywood for who they really are

Women across all industries are stepping up and calling out men for their wrongdoings.

Andre Clark, Writer

The well known and widely spreading Me Too movement has been around for much longer than most realize. The Me Too movement was started by activist Tarana Burke roughly 10 years ago. In 1997, Ms. Burke met a 13-year-old girl who had been sexually abused. This meeting fueled Ms. Burke to take action and help victims of sexual harassment and assault. Ten years later, the Me Too movement was born.

Recently, the Me Too movement has spread like wildfire with a larger number of allegations of sexual assault by various male celebrities arising. It began in October of 2017 when sexual misconduct allegations came out against Harvey Weinstein. Actress Alyssa Milano took action via Twitter. On Oct. 15, 2017 at 4:21 p.m., she tweeted, “If all the women who have been sexually harassed or assaulted wrote ‘Me too.’ as a status, we might give people a sense of the magnitude of the problem.” After this tweet, Twitter flooded with allegations of sexual assault and harassment from tons of women accusing a wide range of celebrities, from A-list actors and popular singers to olympic coaches and politicians. Matt Lauer, Kevin Spacey and James Franco are just a few of the men who have been accused of sexual misconduct.

The Me Too movement is getting to young women as well. Nadiyah Williams, a junior at Charles Flowers High School, said that, “The Me Too movement is very empowering, to see all these women come together and stand up for themselves really gives me hope that the constant sexual assault on women will come to an end.”

The Me Too movement is a wonderful crusade that is helping women let out the truth and expose the men hiding behind their positions of power. Thanks to this movement men are no longer able to abuse women and get away with it. They will be put in the spotlight and the world will  know what they have done.