Varsity Lacrosse Season Preview 2023

Xavier Sydnor, Staff Writer

The DeMatha Stags varsity lacrosse season kicked off March 3 at 4:30pm against Georgetown Preparatory School. The Stags played with an incredible effort, but Georgetown Prep ran away in a landslide 14-5 victory. Three days later, the stags set off to Florida to face a widely known school for their athletics, IMG Academy. IMG, although not extremely well known for their lacrosse program, came to play and won the game 10-8 giving DeMatha their second straight loss.  When asked about why the Stags fell short to IMG, Terry Dorsey said “We let them make us go 3/9 on shots on goal,” which is a major reason he believes the Stags fell to IMG.

Things are starting to heat up for the Stags as they are now 3-3 with three straight wins after a though 8-11 loss to Bullis High School.  The Stags first win came when they played Bishop McNamara, as they completely dominated the Mustangs in a 14-2 landslide. When asked about what lead to the big win after coming off a 3-game losing streak, Aiden Adams said, “The losses, in my opinion, honestly, had nothing to do with our skill level. We are just as good as anyone, we just have to compete.”

After a tough loss to Landon dropped the team to 3-4, Anthony Bardonille emphasized that the slow start to the season has not shaken the Stags’ mental game. “The L hurt bad,” Bardonille said, “but the fight we gave throughout the game really showed that we can be a pretty good team when we decide to wake up.

Perhaps they are doing just that. The Stags have won two of their last three games heading into spring break, lifting their record to 5-5 following an 8-4 victory against LaSalle. DeMatha is next in action Friday, March 31 at Bishop Ireton.