Student Thoughts On the Dress Code

Several students from a few years ago show off the DeMatha uniform in the main entrance.

Edgar Cantoral, Staff Writer

DeMatha Catholic High School is a college preparatory institution dedicated to educating young men in the Trinitarian tradition. All DeMatha students are required to wear a school uniform in the winter which consists of a navy blue blazer for freshmen and sophomores and maroon blazers for juniors and seniors. In addition, a dress shirt, tie, belt, and required shoes are also part of the DeMatha uniform. The reasons behind school uniforms are many and different.

One of them is to create a sense of discipline and order. A second reason is to eliminate disparities among students of different socioeconomic classes. A third reason is to create and strengthen a sense of belonging and brotherhood.

Eliminating disparities among students of different socioeconomic classes is an important reason for the code. DeMatha states that it cultivates a respect for other people that finds its most complete expression in students who become faith-filled gentlemen and scholars.​​ The dress code policy allows every student to feel united and not left out.

Prior to determining that the school has ample heating in the buildings, the Dean of Students was allowing bundle up days for students, which consists of hoodies and jackets being worn over the blazer. While bundle-up days have been eliminated, students may still wear jackets over their blazers when they have to go from one building to another.

Aaron Roberson, a senior, is in favor of the school uniform policy. He says, “Some people are more fortunate than others and it is a good equalizer.”

Junior George Ford appreciates the spring uniform because of its comfort. Gavin Weddington, another senior, said he would prefer that the spring uniform should start sooner in the spring. He says, “It gets pretty hot and the blazers are uncomfortable.”

Ms. Phalen, who works with many students in academic support, thinks that, by dressing well, it helps students understand the excellence we expect from them in the classroom.

The dress code policy at DeMatha creates a sense of discipline and order,  to eliminate disparities among students of different socioeconomic classes, and to create and strengthen a sense of belonging and brotherhood. These reasons help unite the gentlemen and scholars of DeMatha to feel as a brotherhood.