Two-Factor Authentication- What it Does and Why it’s Important

Alejandro Carr, Staff Writer

On December 6, 2021, DeMatha issued its first alert that it would be changing to a two-factor verification system for students’ Google and Veracross accounts. Students were required to comply with the new change by January 1, 2022. Many were confused why the change was being implemented and had questions about it prior to Christmas break.  

Fast forward to the return from break, DeMatha has now fully implemented the change towards two-factor authentication and people still have questions about it. 

Mr. Keplinger, the network administrator at DeMatha, explained that the reason for the implementation of the authentication system was to prevent cyber threats that are specifically targeting the education market. This protects against access to confidential information such as phone numbers and email addresses. 

The purpose of multifactor authentication is to add an extra layer of security by means of something that only you possess. Someone would have to have access to a physical device like your phone to be able to get around it.

As the DeMatha community has gotten more attuned to using the system on a daily basis people have begun to form opinions on it. Kelvin Blake, a sophomore, feels that it is a hassle when wanting to quickly check your grades or emails, but in the end it makes sense to have it implemented because of its safety reasons. 

Hopefully as time goes on, the DeMatha community will get used to the extra step that comes along with two-factor verification and will benefit from the added safety from cyber threats.