Crew Senior Leaders

Michael Dixon, Staff Writer

New leaders emerge every year for DeMatha’s various sports teams. This week, a few DeMatha students spoke about how it feels to be a leader and a senior on the crew team.

James Peters expressed sadness when talking about his last year rowing. Luke Foreman says, “I feel bittersweet because this sport has been a major part of my high school career.” Peter Macyko says, “I felt like I improved a lot with my technique compared to my years before. I learned from both my coaches’ and fellow crewmates’ constructive criticism. From working hard each day with my boat, I got close with my crewmates.”

This season, Luke is looking forward to racing against other schools. Peter is looking forward to helping the lower-classmen on the crew team and always being a helping hand for them. “Crew is the ultimate team sport so I want to bring the team closer together with a good team culture,” Peter says. 

Having memorable moments in your sport is very important because they can influence your relationship with the people around you. Peter says his most memorable moment was when he went on a trip to Canada, where he got to row for the International Royal Canadian Henley. He says, “The ride up was long but definitely worth it. I made so many memories with the few guys that went on the trip.”

When asked about any plans to continue crew in college, Peter said, “I would like to continue rowing in college. However, I only want to row for a Division III rowing school so I can have an academic and athletic balance.”

In your sport, you learn many things that you carry with you and it shapes you into the person you are. Peter says he has learned that if you put in the time and effort in anything like crew, you can make gradual improvements. Peter also loves how he can continue the leadership on the crew team that the seniors in the past set for him. He loves this team so he wants the best for each person on the team.