DeMatha Varsity Basketball Preview: Game 1 of 4 (Left in the Preseason)

Daeshaun Williams, Staff Writer

Upcoming News and more For the DeMatha Stags Basketball Team:

On Wednesday November 16, 2022 the DeMatha Stags Varsity Basketball team will have their first official home game of the preseason, as they take on the Takoma Academy Tigers. The Game will be held at the Brendan Looney Convocation Center at 6:00 pm. 

Recap of the Last Game 

Recently the Stags traveled to New Jersey to participate in the MXM Showcase. The Stags would face the #1 team in the country, Roselle Catholic, and Hudson Catholic.   

The Stags would beat the #1 team in the Country, Roselle Catholic, 70-55. The Stags would be without senior leaders Logan Lewis, and Jaden Winston. DeMatha would complete the sweep and beat Hudson Catholic 55-43. Junior Malcolm Thomas would take home MVP honors in the tournament.  

The Good news, and The Bad News:

The Good News-  The Stags only have 4 preseason games remaining, all which are at the Brendan Looney Convocation Center. Senior Darius Vance embraces his role as a leader and key player off the bench. Finally, congratulations to seniors Isaiah Arnold, and Mason So commit to their respective colleges:

G-Isaiah Arnold- Commits to Augusta University

G- Mason So- Commits to UNGC (University of North Carolina Greensboro) 

The Bad News- The Stags have key inactives: 

G- AJ McClary: McClary is a Junior at DeMatha with arguably the most athleticism on this year’s team, McClary expects to miss the rest of the preseason with a sprained toe. He is expected to return at the beginning of the season. 

F- Cole Bowser: Bowser is a sophomore at DeMatha with great upside, mostly playing as a 3&D player. Bowser isn’t expected to miss much time with his knee injury though. Bowser expects to make his return to the court on November 19. 

C/F- Galen Bourciquot: Bourciquot is a senior at DeMatha, he is 6’3 and can add length, and defense from the PF position or the C position. Bourciquot’s injury will keep him out for a week at max. Bourciquot has entered concussion protocol. 

G- Mason So: So is a senior at DeMatha, and is considered to be a great floor general for any offense. So ‘s injury has no timetable yet for his return, when asked about it he would say, “It’s just whenever I feel better.”  The guard’s injury is a hand contusion in his left hand. 

The Stags will look to get through these injuries and continue their dominant preseason.