Jv Basketball

Jv+Basketball

Jaden Winston, Staff Writer

This Wednesday, DeMatha’s JV basketball team took on Takoma Academy in their first scrimmage. It was a good opportunity for the team to measure their conditioning going into the season. For months the team has been working hard and have had the chance to play against and learn from one another. However, they finally got to face an opponent, Takoma Academy.

With DeMatha getting a whole new coaching staff this year, the team has had to quickly adjust to the new style and rhythm of Coach Jeff. It can sometimes be difficult to adapt to change and for this team it showed early on in the scrimmage. Players playing under a new system along with new teammates can take time to gel. As the scrimmage went on, it was clear that all the stags needed was time to settle in. The stags began to assert their dominance over Takoma Academy and showed flashes of great potential. 

Of course there is still room for lots of growth and improvement, “but this is all part of the process” says sophomore Harper Lewis. In practice the team looks to clean up some of their mistakes and to build on what went well. This team and coaching staff are very determined and hard working. There’s no doubt that this will be a great year for the Stags!