The DeMatha Stagline

The Student News Site of DeMatha Catholic High School

The DeMatha Stagline

The DeMatha Stagline

Baltimore Ravens Start off 2-1

Sports Illustrated

The Baltimore Ravens are off to a good start in 2023 after winning their first two games and losing their last game. They’ve found success through multiple methods in the early going.

“[The] Ravens are doing pretty good to start off the season, and I think they could end up going around 12-5. But they’re not gonna go far [in the playoffs] ‘cuz their corners aren’t too good and their receivers aren’t good enough to help Lamar win,” said junior Sam Fufa.

The team started off the season beating the Houston Texans, dominating 25-9. The Ravens were able to hold the Texans to only 9 points, not allowing them to get in the endzone. The Texans were unable to get the run game going and threw the ball 44 times. The Raven’s defense put a lot of pressure on rookie quarterback CJ Stroud and sacked him 5 times.

Without Mark Andrews, the offense turned to their running backs and were able to put up 25 points despite Lamar Jackson having no touchdowns. J.K. Dobbins and Justice Hill were able to get in the end zone three times combined. Unfortunately, J.K. Dobbins tore his Achilles and won’t return for the rest of the season.

Rookie Zay Flowers had a good game with 78 yards on 9 receptions. In Week 2, the Ravens beat the Cincinnati Bengals in a division rivalry game. The Ravens were able to contain Ja’Marr Chase and Joe Burrow. Lamar Jackson had a bounce-back game and had 291 scrimmage yards and 2 touchdowns. Joe Burrow for the Bengals had 227 scrimmage yards, 2 touchdowns, and 1 interception. 

The Bengals were trailing the entire game and were forced to throw the ball 41 times. After J.K. Dobbins was ruled out for the season, Gus Edwards and Justice Hill split carries.  Mark Andrews came back for his first game and scored a touchdown and was able to make an impact. Nelson Agholor also made a big impact with 63 yards and 1 touchdown.

Ja’Marr Chase struggled with only 31 yards and 5 receptions. Tee Higgins had 89 yards and 2 touchdowns, but it wasn’t enough to help them win. The Ravens had 415 yards while the Bengals only had 282 yards. The Ravens had 70 total plays and 33 minutes 4 seconds of possession while the Bengals had 57 plays and 26 minutes and 56 seconds of possession. Wide receiver Odell Beckham had an ankle injury and did not return. Safety Nick Scott was checked for a concussion in the third quarter and did not return. Joe Burrow said he tweaked his right calf and will take it day by day.

The Ravens lost their first game of the season 22-19 to the Indianapolis Colts in overtime in Week 3. The Colts had lost Anthony Richardson to a concussion in Week 2, and Gardner Minshew took his place. Lamar Jackson had a good game throwing for 202 yards and rushing for 101 yards and 2 touchdowns. Gardner Minshew threw for 227 yards and 1 touchdown. The offense was not able to do much and the defense didn’t do enough.

Kyle Hamilton for the Ravens had a good game and had 7 tackles and 3 sacks. The Colts were able to get the run game going and Zach Moss rushed for 122 yards. In overtime, the Ravens went for it and there was a controversial no-call on a potential pass interference. The Colts then got the ball and scored the game-winning field goal.

Despite the outcome, fans are prefer to focus on their early-season success. “I think the Ravens have hope still in the season. I think it was a messy game but we will be able to bounce back from this,” said junior Josh Zuniga.