The DeMatha Stagline

The Student News Site of DeMatha Catholic High School

The DeMatha Stagline

The DeMatha Stagline

2023 DeMatha Football

The Playoff Picture

The DeMatha Stags football team ended their regular season 8-1, with a conference record of 3-1. This year they have had honorable wins against Roman Catholic, Gonzaga, and St. John’s. Their only loss came in a game against Good Counsel that ended in a very close overtime loss.

Senior kicker Micah Veilleux reflected on the season, saying, “We started off a little slow, but we built up momentum and we are doing really good now.”

In the first round of the playoffs the Stags are expected to play at home against the winner of Gonzaga vs St. John’s. Senior tackle Terez Davis spoke about the changes that need to be made on offense heading into playoffs. “We have to move the ball more,” he said. “We started off a little slow when we played them, we have to finish our blocks and create space for the running backs.”

Davis added, “The team atmosphere is going good. I think the bye week has really helped us in being able to recover. It’s definitely going to give us a little boost going into our first playoff game.”

As for the team coming out flat for their first conference game, it was not much of a concern for Davis. “Practice is competitive and physical so I feel like we will come out dominant.” Veilleux echoed Davis’ statements and added, “Everyone is just really dialed in and we are all in it for the chip.”