The DeMatha Stagline

The Student News Site of DeMatha Catholic High School

The DeMatha Stagline

The DeMatha Stagline

Chase Young traded to the 49ers

Thearon W. Henderson

On October 31, right before the NFL trade deadline, the San Francisco 49ers traded for Chase Young. The Commanders only received a 3rd round pick in the 2024 draft which shocked a lot of Washington Commanders fans. Junior Malachi Wilson said, “The Commanders trading Chase Young to the 49ers wasn’t a great trade, mainly because of his overall contribution to the team’s defense. And I personally think that they will be an asset to the division when they find a reasonable enough replacement or a DE with as much drive as Young.”

Chase Young and Nick Bosa reunite from Ohio State. They were both dominant and were both drafted in the first round with the 2nd overall picks, Bosa in 2019 and Young in 2020. The 49ers are contenders to win the Super Bowl and adding Chase Young is a huge scare to the rest of the NFL. The 49ers defensive line already has many good players and Young will help them be even better. Wyatt Dubayuh, a former DeMatha student, says, “It was a really good decision and hopefully, this will be a new era for the 49ers defense.” 

Outside of football, Chase Young went to DeMatha and was a very good student. Mrs. Strickland said, “Chase was a very focused young man. I knew him from his regular attendance in Academic Support. He came into the Academic Support and got right to work. He was respectful. [He] sought out academic help whenever he needed it. He also helped others. He took time out of his day to help others. He was very good at time management. When another student became disrespectful towards me, Chase stepped up and in his own way, the student got a lesson on treating teachers! I still think fondly of Chase and wish him well.”