The DeMatha Stagline

The Student News Site of DeMatha Catholic High School

The DeMatha Stagline

The DeMatha Stagline

WCAC Football Playoffs

The WCAC regular season was filled with a lot of entertainment and memorable moments. Four teams made it to the playoffs and are fighting it out for the trophy. Two-seed DeMatha hosted four-seed St. John’s. The Stags dominated from start to finish with the main headline being junior Bud Coombs, who rushed for over 200 yards in the win. DeMatha went on to win by a final score of 21-3, ending the Cadets’ season.

In the other semifinal, the three-seed Gonzaga Eagles took a trip to Olney, Maryland to face the one-seed Good Counsel Falcons. Just like the first game, this one wasn’t even close. The Falcons showed no mercy, winning 20-2 setting up for an amazing championship game.

The DeMatha Stags are participating in the WCAC championship game for the second year in a row. Good Counsel participated in the 2021 edition and suffered a tough loss to St. John’s.

This will be a rematch of the WCAC game of the year which took place on October 13. The game basically had everything and the Falcons won 35-28 in overtime. Malik Henderson says, “DeMatha will beat Good Counsel.” Max Browne believes a lot will happen in the game and it will be very interesting. Jason Sotelo says the varsity football team has looked very good this season and the hard work they have put in will pay off.

Sophomore wide receiver Lavar Keys says, “It will be a tough, hard-fought game. Good Counsel is not an easy opponent but our discipline and hard work throughout the week will get us the win.” The game will be played at the Naval Academy in Annapolis.