The DeMatha Stagline

The Student News Site of DeMatha Catholic High School

The DeMatha Stagline

The DeMatha Stagline

Students show off some of the awards the brought back to Hyattsville from Myrtle Beach on the 2023 Music Trip.
Music Trip 2024
April 15, 2024

Stags Wrestling is over but revamping for next year

The DeMatha wrestling team had been steady afloat this season. Through obstacles like injuries and tough opponents, this Stags team has gone through it all with perseverance and resilience. With some big losses on the season to WCAC opponents like Paul VI and Good Counsel, the DeMatha Stags have a 5-3 record in the conference. However, outside of conference play they have a 14-8 record and they’re starting to pick it up towards the end of the season.

Junior Joseph Lagman talked about the changes he has made as an individual wrestler going into this year. “I gained more experience and comfortably on the mat,” Lagman said. “My technique from my shots to my throws all the way to my endurance has been a big part in my development this year.” As multiple seniors are leaving for next year, Lagman will look to take the next step and become a leader for this Stags team going into next year.

Lagman also spoke about the mindset of the changes that need to be made going into next year, focusing on “different methods of practicing, weight room training, and cardio. I do believe that we will make these changes next year and be an even better team.” Coach Devine has emphasized all year about the intensity in practice and the work ethic of his players. It’s something that DeMatha wrestling takes pride in and works on extremely seriously.

As for the end of the season, in the WCAC championship the Stags placed very well, finishing third. Senior Jordan Williams came first in the heavyweight division while Lagman finished second in the 165 weight class and Shock Ingrams finished second in the 175 weight class. The Stags wrestling season was not a disappointment but the feeling is that they can improve heavily next year. They are even hungrier going forward and are looking to finish first.