The DeMatha Stagline

The Student News Site of DeMatha Catholic High School

The DeMatha Stagline

The DeMatha Stagline

Big Ten Tournament Preview

The 14 members of the Big Ten will begin the conference tournament on Wednesday, March 13.

As the calendar flips to March, Big Ten basketball fans eagerly anticipate one of the most thrilling events of the season: the Big Ten Basketball Tournament. In 2024, the tournament looks to be as competitive as ever, with many top-of-the-line talented teams eyeing that coveted automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament. But with all winners, there have to be losers or teams who didn’t live up to expectations. Let’s delve into the landscape of the tournament, highlighting some of the teams to look out for and some that have no shot.

1. Purdue Boilermakers

In first in the Big Ten standings and in addition ranked third in the AP NCAA Rankings they are the real deal for this tournament with them being the unanimous favorites. With the leader of this powerhouse being Zach Edey a Canadian 7 ‘4 three-time all-American beast and big step-ups from sophomore guard Braden Smith and senior forward Lance Jones this big three really will need to be thoroughly picked apart by any team to topple this big three. One last thing that is even better for Purdue after this long season is the double bye in the tourney which will only give them more time to prepare and fresher legs.

2. Fighting Illini 

Illinois is also a big-time favorite for this year’s tournament because of its extremely fast-paced offense and over neglected defense. As many know with college basketball many box score watchers pick apart Illinois defense but it has improved over the season and in addition to this improving defense, they have one of the quickest and most wipe-out offenses that the Big Ten has to offer. One thing to look out for the rest of the year is that big #12 ranking which could put a target on their back for any team to gear up and pounce on the opportunity to say they beat this succeeding team.

3. Northwestern Wildcats

The Northwestern Wildcats right now sit in the three-seed and have many question marks next to them. They are led by senior guard Boo Buie who averages 19/3/5 and is the driving factor for this Northwestern team. But Boo really is the only part of this team who doesn’t have many questions next to him. The big question is their depth. This team does have senior players but it looks grim for leaning on them to step up deeper into this season. Many examples of their depth in question are the rough loss to the Iowa Hawkeyes and some earlier losses in the season to the Rutgers Scarlet Knights and Wisconsin Badgers. This team does have some firepower but the true deciding factor is if they get some guys besides Boo Buie to step up and make them championship hopeful.

4. Nebraska Cornhuskers

The Cornhuskers are the real deal and are on fire as of late. With a commanding lead over the Rutgers Scarlet Knights and one small hiccup against Ohio State, they still are moving quickly and scoring efficiently too. They have had many big wins against at the time #6 Wisconsin Badgers and another electric win against #1 Purdue and were helped by big step-ups from C.J. Wilcher and fan favorite Keisei Tominaga. Going into this tournament many fans are asking if they will lose and disappoint like their football team or gain some notoriety after this tournament.

5. Wisconsin Badgers

The Badgers have had many ups and downs in their last seasons and this season is no different by started unranked and then went as high up in the rankings as #6 after beating excellent teams like Marquette and Virginia but unfortunately, they have ended the season with a huge cold streak going 2-9 in their last 11 and most of it coming from road struggles and a huge issue with defense and their 3 ball. Many fans are hoping for a footing for this hyped-up team and hoping they can find their stride again because when they do fans and writers think they are a top 10 team in the nation.

6. Iowa Hawkeyes

The Hawkeyes are a scrappy team with very mixed talk about their team. They sit with a 10-9 conference and really don’t have a ton of momentum and don’t really have a consensus star. Although they do have many solid wins this season over the Wisconsin Badgers in overtime and a road win against the Northwestern Wildcats. The Hawkeyes will need to start showing some more flashes to really be feared going farther into the season but that doesn’t mean they can’t do it.

7. Minnesota Gophers 

Coming into the tournament the Gophers sit with the 7 seed in the tournament and are led by their star DeMatha alumni Elijah Hawkins who is second in the nation in assists per game. Fellow sophomore student and Gopher fan Andrew Smith spoke about Hawkins’s impact on this Gopher team saying “He’s our conductor and always knows where and who to dish it out to. Whenever he is off the court our offense takes a hit because of the lack of a leader.” Many more fans and writers also paint this picture and really don’t know how this team will fare in this tournament but they also need to have a solid tournament to even sniff a chance for a March Madness bid.

8. Michigan State Spartans

A team in a very similar spot that Minnesota is in with legendary coach Tom Izzo having a very middle-of-the-pack year. Unlike Minnesota, the Spartans have beaten two top-10 teams this year but also keep having trouble with bottom-standing teams. One similarity with the Gophers is they also have a leader with senior guard Tyson Walker taking a big step up averaging 18/3/3. Many people had this team as a dark horse team at the start of this season but with the tough losses towards the end of the season, it’s hard to see them succeed in this Tournament.

9. Indiana Hoosiers

The Hoosiers don’t really have a chance in this tournament due to many losses and dinky and non-resume-boosting wins. The team is being carried by Sophomore center Kel’el Ware and Sophomore guard Malik Reneau. Their biggest issue seems to be their defense which gives up a whopping 75.1 ppg and no real players to step up and make big plays. As this team grows they will have much more success but many big problems to answer before they are really a threat.

10. Ohio State Buckeyes

This Buckeye team really had some potential boom at the start of this season with a huge win over #17 Alabama and started the season 8-2 in their first 10 games but once conference play started their consistent play was zapped and then went 5-10 in their first 15 conference games and the only redeeming win was against the big time Boilermakers at home after firing their head coach Chris Holtmann and this seems to help a bit with them after the firing going 4-1. Buckeye fans are hopeful the new coaching changes could make their team next year look like their team at the start of the season but they have a close to none chance to make a splash at this year’s tourney.

11. Penn State Nittany Lions 

This team is the epitome of the up and down season and is unfortunate for hopeful Nittany fans who wanted a step up from an avaeage season but unfortunately took one step forward and two backward with really the only praiseworthy player this year being Ace Baldwin Jr. who was 23rd in apg and averaged 14 ppg. After this unfortunate season, there is really no momentum going into this tournament.

12. Rutgers Scarlet Knights 

This team is in an identical spot to last year on the Big Ten Standings and has unfortunately lost any hope of a March Madness push after a small light of hope after a hot streak. Many fans are more excited and intrigued for next year’s team than this year after landing the #2 recruiting class. Although they have many dark horse tournament predictions for the step up of Derek Simpson’s perimeter defense and 7-footer Cliff Omoruyi’s paint defense. The team will need to keep up this small glimmer of a dark horse run for the end of the season.

13. Maryland Terrapins 

The local Terps had high expectations going into this year when they finished fifth in the Big Ten in the previous season and were led by rising senior and DeMatha alumni Jahmir Young. Unfortunately, fans were let down and the team spiraled near the end of the season even with Jahmir Young being stellar this season carrying them in most stats. Two DeMatha Sophomores and die hard Terps fans Roman Zentek and Dylan Cooney Barrera were asked questions about the team. Roman said, “The biggest failure this year was definitely the shooting which isn’t new but is definitely their main weakness as a team.” When he was asked about this team’s biggest failure. Dylan responded with “The biggest failure was for sure shooting 3s.” This seems to show fans were together on their frustrations. They were also asked if they felt the team failed Jahmir in his senior season. Roman said, “I wouldn’t say it was a failure but more so a disappointment if anything, but Jahmir has nothing to be ashamed of, he has done everything he could have possibly done.” Dylan said, “I feel that we have failed to bring in a spot-up shooter for Jahmir because Jahmir can’t be the one knocking down all of the threes he needs help out there.” After all this hype at the start of the season, these frustrations with local superfans show what trajectory their season has been and will most likely not change this Big Ten tournament.

14. Michigan Wolverines 

If one word could describe this team it would be “yikes”. Juwan Howard has led this team to a horrible 8-22 overall record and they have no bright spots and will most likely continue to have none until Howard is fired. Going into this tournament one could win the lottery and get struck by lightning to see this team do anything successful. The Big Ten Basketball Tournament promises to deliver excitement, drama, and unforgettable moments as some of the nation’s top teams collide on the floor. With championship aspirations and March Madness berths on the line, the tournament is sure to make or rake seasons and give a preview to teams March Madness success. As the teams battle it out for conference gold the stage is set for a exciting tournament.