The DeMatha Stagline

The Student News Site of DeMatha Catholic High School

The DeMatha Stagline

The DeMatha Stagline

DeMatha Academic Awards Night Preview

As we come to the end of the quarter, which officially ends on March 15, many DeMatha students are looking forward to an invitation to Academic Awards Night. Set on April 24, 2024 in the Brendan Looney Convocation Center,  Academic Awards Night is a night to honor the students who have aimed for and achieved excellence in the classroom throughout the first three quarters of the school year.

The students selected for Academic Awards Night represent a wide array of community members. They consist of athletes, musicians, and those who are a part of DeMatha’s many different clubs. These students’ abilities to excel academically while simultaneously participating in time-consuming extracurricular activities serves as a testament to how gifted and talented they are.

Becuase of the number of students the school possesses, DeMatha is projected to have a huge turnout on its awards night. When asked how many people he believed there will be, DeMatha’s assistant principal Mr. William Clark said, “We are looking at a large number of attendees,” and jokingly stated that he’ll need to “limit the amount of guests [the students] are allowed to bring.”

Mrs. Lama is one of the few people who determines which students are commemorated for their academic excellence. When asked about what goes into deciding to award certain students, Mrs. Lama said she looks for “a well-rounded student with good academics but also a scholar that hands in their work on time, arrives to class on time, respects their fellow teachers and classmates, and cares for the community. Those are all things I think about when it comes to choosing the recipients on academic awards night.”

All in all, Academic Awards Night is a fun evening filled with celebration for the students who worked hard to get there. All students should strive to get to Academic Awards Night and be celebrated accordingly.