The DeMatha Stagline

The Student News Site of DeMatha Catholic High School

The DeMatha Stagline

The DeMatha Stagline

Ultimate Frisbee Club

As the season changes, new clubs are beginning to emerge at DeMatha Catholic High School. The newest edition to this list is the Ultimate Frisbee Club.

Ultimate Frisbee is a non-contact, self-refereed team sport played with a flying disc, or frisbee. Similar to football, ultimate frisbee requires two teams whose objective is to score more points than the other team by completing a pass in the endzone without an infraction. Ultimate frisbee is an outdoor sport that emphasizes running and the air dynamics of the disc. Due to this, it is more popular during the spring and summer seasons.

The founder of this club is Ian Clarke, a sophomore at DeMatha. When asked what led to him starting up the club, he said, “I’ve been playing Ultimate Frisbee for about six to seven years now, so starting this club was an idea I had for a while.”

With the club being so new, Ian set expectations for participants. “Right now we have a lot of guys who are new to the sport, so we are focused on teaching them the fundamentals and rules of the game.”

The club moderator is Mr. Puffett. “I’ve always had a liking to the sport, so when Ian brought the idea to me I jumped on it. It was an opportunity to get involved with something I have an interest in, and hopefully build a foundation on.” Mr. Puffett and the team expect practices to start soon and are now just trying to fill up the team.

This is very exciting for the school as a new club is being embraced within the community.