The DeMatha Stagline

The Student News Site of DeMatha Catholic High School

The DeMatha Stagline

The DeMatha Stagline

Rugby Preseason Expectations

The rugby team has a lot of talent on the roster and are known for dominating with speed and strength against opponents. Last season they were 4 and 3 with losses to Gonzaga, Landon, Good Counsel. Star player Jordan Gibbons spoke on the losses, saying, “We lost due to bad communication and constant penalties.” The team is only beating themselves and if they cut out these mistakes, they can win more games than they won last season.

The expectations for the rugby team this season are very high with star players like Gibbons, Moses Dignam, Liam Donnelly, Jabari Johnson, and Kareem Robinson ready to make an impact. These players are crucial to the team and they are needed in order for the team to perform at their highest level. The combination of speed and power they have is a lot for opponents to handle, but they have to come together and fix the mental mistakes.

Junior Andre Arnold spoke about how the team changed a few things on alignment and how they attack. “I feel like from last season we have improved and we have changed our formation to a 1-3-3-1 instead of a flat line,” Arnold said, “but we still do launch up flat on defense.”

The rugby team is making changes for the better and have a bright future going into this season.