The DeMatha Stagline

The Student News Site of DeMatha Catholic High School

The DeMatha Stagline

The DeMatha Stagline

Big NFL free agency acquisitions

The 2024 NFL free agency period has gotten off to a crazy start, with many teams putting the passive mindset away when it comes to free agency.

All 32 teams have made free agency acquisitions, with some being more aggressive than others. The 2024 NFL season will look nothing like the 2023 season after some league-altering moves. One of the bigger free agency moves that caused headlines was Derrick Henry signing with the Baltimore Ravens. Henry, who is a 2-time All-Pro and 4-time Pro Bowler, signed for 2 years and $16 million, hoping to contend for a Super Bowl.

An acquisition just as big was the Philadelphia Eagles signing Saquon Barkley, the former Giants running back, for $37.75 million, 26 million of which is fully guaranteed. Kirk Cousins signed with the Atlanta Falcons on a 4-year $180 million contract.

Meanwhile, Josh Jacobs will be replacing Aaron Jones in Green Bay after the Packers cut Jones, who then signed with the Vikings.

And it’s not only free agency that has players switching teams. Keenan Allen was traded to the Bears for a 4th round pick in a blockbuster trade that many didn’t expect.

Junior Nate Nebiyu has been keeping up with all these roster moves. “Free agency has been crazy,” Nate said. “A lot of trades have been going on. I think it’s going to be very competitive. There are a lot of teams with star power.” Within just the first week of free agency, there has been a surplus of free agency moves.

Fellow junior Naim Dominique believes the Eagles have been the biggest winners so far. Philadelphia has been very active signing players. Notable signings include Barkley, C.J. Gardner-Johnson, Bryce Huff, DeVante Parker, Kenny Pickett (by trade), Matt Hennessy, Zack Baun, and Devin White. All are positive additions who can help them make a deep playoff run.

On the flip side, Naim says, “I think the cowboys are the biggest losers.” The Cowboys has had a disappointing start to free agency, especially when they missed out on Derrick Henry. They only signed one player, declining veteran linebacker Eric Kendricks, and re-signed three other players while releasing Michael Gallup and Leighton Vander Esch.

Overall it is only the first week of a wild NFL free agency and teams have plenty of time to make more moves, but the pool of talent is disappearing.