The DeMatha Stagline

The Student News Site of DeMatha Catholic High School

The DeMatha Stagline

The DeMatha Stagline

DeMatha Baseball Regular Season

DeMatha Baseball Regular Season

DeMatha Baseball was incredible this regular season. In 28 games, DeMatha amassed a 24-4 record and was unanimously ranked as the best team in Maryland, according to Xposure Sports. With their stellar play and unwavering confidence throughout the regular season, this Stags team had high hopes entering the conference playoffs. 

One thing that embodied the Stags this season was their ability to get back on teams that previously beat them. Those losses crushed the Stags but in response to these losses they always came back swinging with wins on top of wins afterwards. 

DeMatha was in an in-season tournament championship game in South Carolina where they unfortunately lost to PVI. Instead of being upset, they took that emotion out on PVI later in the regular season and won convincingly. This was one of three rematches during the season where the Stags avenged earlier losses against conference rivals and showed the resilience and fight from this Stags team this year.

Pitcher Bryce Palms said, “I feel like the team this year, we just balled. The only games we lost, we lost to ourselves mentally.” Consistently great production from all positions on the field instilled this kind of confidence from the Stags.

With offers and numerous amounts of interest, Palms talked about the year for himself which will be huge for his recruitment. “Honestly, I felt at the beginning of the season I had a lot of ups and downs mentally, but towards the end of the season I got my groove. My goal is to go 1-0 everyday.”

DeMatha is understanding who they are as a baseball team and their identity. What was their philosophy this year? According to pitcher John Hall, “Do all the little things right against the good teams.”