The DeMatha Stagline

The Student News Site of DeMatha Catholic High School

The DeMatha Stagline

The DeMatha Stagline

DeMatha Leadership Institute

As the rising junior class finishes off their sophomore year and prepares to be upperclassmen next year, this is a time to reflect upon the last two years and see  the growth the class has made collectively and individually. Students not only discovered new interest and hobbies, they’ve started to form into the men they want to become. Students have worked their way up in different sports, clubs, and organizations. One formidable organization provided by DeMatha is the DeMatha Leadership Institute.

DMLI is a four-day leadership program for rising juniors. Young men develop leadership skills while gaining exposure to different leadership styles by listening to guest and alumni speakers, participating in challenging group activities, and planning and working on Christian Service Projects. The first three days take place at DeMatha, with the final day being at an overnight retreat at Calleva in Poolesville, MD. A total of 30 rising juniors are admitted to DMLI, all of whom were personally chosen by Mrs. Stockton from a pool of applicants.

Mrs. Stockton shared the following about the experiences students can expect to have during this program. “DMLI, year in and year out, always seems to be such a positive and bright program. It really helps prepare young men to not only be leaders in the DeMatha community, but in the real world, as well.  We get the experience to hear others’ advice and wisdom to prepare us for the future, and the young men  really engage within themselves as no technology is permitted. Overall this program is a real success, and I can’t wait for this upcoming Junior class to experience [it].”

Current sophomore Nick Roberts has high optimism for DMLI. “I am really excited for this opportunity. I feel I have really grown throughout the last two years, and this is just the next step. I am glad I have the opportunity to do this with my brothers, and we will see what it beholds.”

Overall DMLI is an experience that is really going to uplift these young men. This is what DeMatha is about, forming students into the best faith-filled man they can be. Let’s wish these 30 young men good luck as they embark on this journey.