The DeMatha Stagline

The Student News Site of DeMatha Catholic High School

The DeMatha Stagline

The DeMatha Stagline

Students show off some of the awards the brought back to Hyattsville from Myrtle Beach on the 2023 Music Trip.
Music Trip 2024
April 15, 2024

BSU car wash raises over 800 dollars

Tanya Deleon

On Saturday, DeMatha’s Black Student Union (BSU) held a car wash. They brought in about $900 in a total of 4 hours.

BSU president Nnaeto Nwafor said, “It was an all-around success and a bunch of cars kept coming  in huge waves.” While the cars kept piling in, members of the BSU kept working and the teamwork made them a very efficient crew.

BSU moderator Mr. Ayala said, “The BSU is very happy with the turnout for our first fundraiser. The school community really showed up for us. We’d like to thank the families and faculty who got their cars washed and also those who were not able to make it but still donated. We especially want to thank Mr. Holsey and Mr. Randall for spending their Saturday morning supporting the club. We are looking forward to being able to fund some great events coming up for homecoming and throughout the year.”

After a very successful day, art teacher Mr. Holsey said, “The car wash was a great success thanks to the leadership of BSU president Nnaeto Nwafor and vice president Nico DeLeon. All the guys that showed up were exceptionally gifted and they learned how to wash cars. And thank you to the new history teacher Mr. Randall for helping out. We are looking forward to the next car wash sometime in October.”

Junior Malachi Wilson said, “The cars kept piling in, but the teamwork helped what seemed impossible seem possible.” The students who volunteered for the BSU car wash think it was successful and that the teamwork was able to carry them through the day. Because the car wash was so successful they are most likely gonna do it again.