The DeMatha Stagline

The Student News Site of DeMatha Catholic High School

The DeMatha Stagline

The DeMatha Stagline

Students show off some of the awards the brought back to Hyattsville from Myrtle Beach on the 2023 Music Trip.
Music Trip 2024
April 15, 2024

DeMatha burns Gonzaga merch at bonfire

Brian Crawford

On Thursday, October 5 the BSU hosted the DeMatha bonfire. A lot of students showed up from Seton and DeMatha to have fun and catch up with their old friends. The bonfire had free food like hot dogs, funnel cake, and ice cream. With the free food and school spirit, the bonfire was a great success.

Before the fire was lit, Gonzaga merch was set on top of the pallets to be burned. About 30 minutes later, the fire was lit, burning a Gonzaga tee which was gone in seconds.

BSU moderator Mr. Ayala said, ‘‘This year BSU hosted the biggest bonfire in DeMatha history! It was a night to remember with food trucks, a Varsity Football shoutout, and hundreds of students united in a single purpose for this Friday.’’

The school spirit was strong and was a good way to kick off homecoming weekend with the football game. Junior Malachi Wilson said, “The community that was present at the bonfire and the school spirit was unmatched.’’ The school spirit was strong and grew stronger leading up to the bonfire.

The spirit seemed to grow even more when the Gonzaga merch was burned after students from their school spread purple glitter and hair beads on the campus. Sophomore Jonah Toliver said after experiencing the bonfire that “the bonfire was much better than last year’s bonfire and the free food really set it over the edge.” The bonfire was a great success that was better than the previous year but it will be hard to top in the future. The bonfire was put together by BSU and SGA and really stood out from other DeMatha events.