The DeMatha Stagline

The Student News Site of DeMatha Catholic High School

The DeMatha Stagline

The DeMatha Stagline

DeMatha Indoor Track

The DeMatha indoor track team is known for being well-rounded historically.

DeMatha has produced many college athletes across all divisions and many of those athletes have run track. For example, Kevin Winston Jr ’22 is a starting safety at Penn State University, but during his time at DeMatha he ran the 200, 300, and 400 in his freshman and sophomore years. As a freshman, he ran a 23.67 in the 200, and a 36.33 for his 300. Winston eventually used that speed to become the fast defensive back that he is today for the Penn State Nittany Lions.

The DeMatha Indoor Track team has made history this year and set a U.S. #1 time in the 4x800m relay. The relay team consisted of three seniors, Kelvin Blake, Chase Lopez, and Josh Gresham, and also highlighted their super talented junior Daden Grogan. The team finished the relay with a time of 7:48.07.

DeMatha’s 4x800m Relay Team From Left to Right: Kelvin Blake ‘24, Chase Lopez ‘24, Josh Gresham ‘24, Daden Grogan ‘25

The head of the track program, Coach Buddy Crutchfield, is known very well in the area for the success he has had with DeMatha. In the past 28 years, the DeMatha track program has brought in 16 conference championships, including three since Crutchfield took the helm in 2016-17. The team is hoping to bring another one in for the 2024 season.