The DeMatha Stagline

The Student News Site of DeMatha Catholic High School

The DeMatha Stagline

The DeMatha Stagline

Dematha Stags Crew Preview

The DeMatha Stags crew team is the new team up on the rise for next season. Here is some news about the crew team for the upcoming season.

The crew program is a historic program at DeMatha which has a lot of history and definitely has a strong alumni circle. It is a favorite of many of the students and people that want to excel in and out of the classroom. Members of the crew team said if everyone does their job, the team should have a very successful season.

Sophomore Jackson Gasch is on the varsity team and really enjoys being part of the program. “Crew is a very fun sport and is very tiring, but it will get you in great shape and looks good on your application.”

The crew team practices at Bladensburg Waterfront Park. For this sport they are racing other teams in an 8-person boat and the fastest time wins. This is a team sport so everyone contributes. At practice, the team works on technique to perfect their craft and make sure everyone is on the exact same timing because one rower being out of rhythm can mess up everything.

The team is one of the top teams in the conference, matching up very well against programs like Ireton. Athletes say Gonzaga will be a tough matchup this season, though, as they are one of the best in the country.

Star rowers to look out for this year on DeMatha’s team include Gabe Scott and Liam O’Connor. The head coach for the 2024 season will be Richard Blorstad ’10. The crew team will be hoping to have a big season and win the Occoquan again like they previously did.

Overall, the crew team is looking to have a big season this year and looks to take a big step in the right direction and continue their recent success.